Piatnytska G. Brendyng vyshhoi' osvity. Visnyk Kyi'vs'kogo nacional'nogo torgovel'no-ekonomichnogo universytetu. 2021. № 4. Р. 118-136.
JEL Classification: I23, I25, М31
Doctor of Sciences (Economics), Professor, Professor at the Department of Management
Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kioto St., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
HIGHER EDUCATION BRANDINGBackground. The increasing intensity of competition in the international market for higher education services leads to an increase in the importance of brands of higher education institutions (HEIs) and the branding of national higher education in general.
The aim of this study is to determine the target setting and the main objectives of the country’s higher education branding in the international market of educational services.
Materials and methods. Methods of comparative and critical analysis, analytical processing of the collected data, graphical display of trends and interrelations, synthesis, etc. are used to achieve the purpose and accomplish the assigned tasks.
Results. Analysis of the dynamics of appeals to the Google-system with queries to search for such words and phrases as: "Brand"; "Higher education"; "University" showed that after a sharp decline in the number of brand and branding queries in March 2020, the trend of increasing attention to this concept among Internet users began to grow again. At the same time, in the last months of 2021, there is a trend towards a decline in requests for higher education and universities. The risk of such a situation for the development of existing universities lies in the fact that the latter is happening against the background of the periodic introduction of quarantine restrictions and the loss of the opportunity to establish constant offline communications with students and youth audience.
On the basis of a critical analysis, comparison and systematization of the existing definitions of the concepts of "branding of higher education" and "brand of higher education", it is proposed to understand the process of "branding of higher education" as a process aimed at implementing the strategy for the development of higher education, strengthening the identity of the higher education system of the country in the international market of educational services, support competitiveness of the higher education sector by establishing effective communications with all stakeholder groups both within the country and abroad. It has been substantiated that the "brand of a higher education institution" should be understood as a specific model of ideas and value characteristics about the HEI and its educational services in the minds of stakeholders.
It is emphasized that the process of the higher education branding should be aimed at forming the value of the brand. This requires the following tasks, the implementation of which: 1) will create a strong competitive brand of higher education in the country, which will help solve educational problems and meet the needs of the labor market, especially within the country; 2) provide preconditions for further geographical diversification in the provision of educational services of the country’s HEIs; 3) will increase the volume of foreign and domestic investment in the educational and scientific space of the country. Along with this, the factors that should be paid attention to in the process of higher education branding and which were formed under the influence of Globalization 4.0 and the manifestation of the consequences of the COVID crisis were identified.
Considering the level of development of the higher education system in the country, the choice of one of the following branding strategies for higher education is envisaged: internal orientation; internal-external orientation; external-internal orientation. It is established that Ukraine must now implement a strategy of internal-external orientation of higher education branding.
It was noted that it would be better to track the results of higher education branding through special assessment and monitoring of changes in the Global Tertiary Education Brand Index and by region.
Conclusion. The problem of the higher education branding, as evidenced by the results of the study, is far from simple and requires the setting of specific tasks, the completion of which should contribute to the achievement of the goal of maximizing the value of the country’s higher education brand. In the process of higher education branding and specific HEIs branding the interests of various groups of stakeholders as well as changes that taking place in the international market of educational services (including due to Globalization 4.0 and the effects of the pandemic) should be taken into account.
The results of the study can be further used to develop and substantiate methodological approaches to determining the Global Tertiary Education Brand Index and the corresponding country indices, by which it will be possible to track imbalances and competitive advantages in the development of higher education in the regions of the country.
Keywords: branding, brand management, higher education, brand of higher education institution, risks, strategies of higher education branding, digitalization, the market of educational services.
- Melewar, T. C., NguyenB. (2014). Five areas to advance branding theory and practice. Journal of Brand Management. (Vol. 21). Issue 9, (pp. 758-769) [in English].
- Ministerstvo osvity i nauky Ukrai’ny. (2020). Strategija rozvytku vyshhoi’ osvity v Ukrai’ni na 2021–2031 rr. [Ministry of Education and Science of Ukraine. Strategy for the development of higher education in Ukraine for 2021-2031]. Кyiv. Retrieved from https://mon.gov.ua/storage/app/media/rizne/2020/09/25/rozvitku-vishchoi-osviti-v-ukraini-02-10-2020.pdf [in Ukrainian].
- Clark, Р., Chapleo, С., & Suomi, К. 2020.Brandinghighereducation:anexplorationof theroleofinternalbrandingonmiddle management in a university rebrand.Tertiary Education and Management.Vol. 26, 131-149[in English].
- Amzat, I. H. (2016). Branding Higher Education Institutions: What It Takes to be Branded. In: Amzat I., Yusuf B. (Eds.). Fast forwarding Higher Education Institutions for Global Challenges. Springer, Singapore. DOI:10.1007/978-981-287-603-4_13 [in English].
- Soroka, O. V., & Kryvcova, M. S. (2018). Brend zakladu vyshhoi’ osvity – osnova konkurentospromozhnosti na rynku osvitnih poslug [The brand of a higher education institution is the basis of competitiveness in the market of educational services]. Naukovyj visnyk Uzhgorods’kogo nacional’nogo universytetu – Scientific Bulletin of Uzhhorod National University, 19. Part 3, 65-70 [in Ukrainian].
- Dejnega, I. O. (2018). Metodychni aspekty brend-koduvannja zakladiv vyshhoi’ osvity [Methodical aspects of brand coding of higher education institutions ]. Vcheni zapysky TNU imeni V. I. Vernads’kogo –Scientific notes of Taurida National V. I.VernadskyUniversity, 4. Issue 29 (68), 93-97 [in Ukrainian].
- Chapleo, C., & Clark, P. (2016). Branding a tertiary institution by committee: An exploration of internal brand analysis and management processes. Journal of Brand Management. Vol. 23. Issue 6. 631-647 [in English].
- Mazaraki, A., P’jatnyc’ka, G., & Grygorenko, O. (2019). Identyfikacija kontentu nacional’nogo brendyngu [Identification of national branding content ]. Visnyk Kyi’vs’kogo nacional’nogo torgovel’no-ekonomichnogo universytetu – Herald of Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics, 2, 5-33 [in Ukrainian].
- Mazaraki, A., Piatnytska, G., &Hryhorenko,O. (2018). Theoretical and methodical principles of nation branding. A. Mazaraki (General ed.). Tallin: Scientific Route OÜ [in English].
- Kucherak, I. (2013). Teoretychni aspekty formuvannja osvitn’ogo brendu vyshhogo navchal’nogo zakladu [Theoretical aspects of educational brand formation of a higher educational institution. Obrii’ – Horizons, 1, 25-26 [in Ukrainian].
- Semenjuk, S. (2013). Brendyng vyshhogo navchal’nogo zakladu [Branding of a higher education institution]. Galyc’kyj ekonomichnyj visnyk – Galician Economic Bulletin,3(42),133-138 [in Ukrainian].
- Jancheva, L. M., Zhegus, O. V., & Myhajlova, M. V. (2020). Brendyng jak instrument formuvannja pryvablyvosti zakladu vyshhoi’ osvity v umovah suchasnyh vyklykiv [Branding as a tool for attractiveness formation of higher education in today’s challenges]. Biznes Inform –Business Inform, 6, 358-366 [in Ukrainian].
- Plysenko, G. (2017). Model’ "4’B BRANDING" v konteksti rozvytku konkurentnyh perevag vyshhyh navchal’nyh zakladiv [The 4’B BRANDING model in the context of competitive advantages development of higher education institutions]. Molodyj vchenyj – Young Scientist, 2 (42), 307-312 [in Ukrainian].
- Khalili, С. (2020). Bring Higher Education Branding To Life. Higher Ed Marketing Journal. Retrieved from https://circaedu.com/hemj/higher-education-branding [in English].
- Hass, G. (2021). The Importance of Modern Higher Education Branding. Retrieved from https://blogs.constantcontact.com/the-importance-of-modern-higher-education-branding [in English].
- Judson, K. M., Aurand, Т. М., Linda, Gorchels L., & Gordon, G. L. (2008). Building a University Brand from Within: University Administrators’ Perspectives of Internal Branding. Services Marketing Quarterly. Vol. 30. Issue 1, 54-68. DOI: 10.1080/15332960802467722 [in English].
- Mykolaichuk, I., & Rasulova, А. (2019). HR-brand as a tool for enhancing enterprises competitiveness. Moder Science – Modern veda, 6, 59-70 [in English].
- Hmurova, V., Grashhenko, I. (2020). Dystancijna osvita v period pandemii’ COVID-19 [Distance education during the COVID-19 pandemic ]. Visnyk Kyi’vs’kogo nacional’nogo torgovel’no-ekonomichnogo universytetu – Herald of Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics, 3, 135-146 [in Ukrainian].
- Zhukovs’ka, V. (2020). Cyfrovi vyklyky kadrovogo zabezpechennja pidpryjemstva [Digital challenges of an enterprise staff]. Menedzhment ta pidpryjemnyctvo v Ukrai’ni: etapy stanovlennja ta problemy rozvytku [Management and entrepreneurship in Ukraine: stages of formation and problems of development]:collection of scientific works, 2, 10-17. DOI:10.23939/smeu2019.02.010 [in Ukrainian].
- Gaievska, L., Naumenko, R., & Fedulova, I. (2018). Scientific and educational leadership factors and the competitiveness of Ukraine. Advances in Social Science, Education and Humanities Research. Vol. 217, 222-230. DOI:10.2991/icseal-18.2018.32[in English].
- Ireland, S. (2021). Revealed: World’s Best Countries For International Students, CEOWORLD Magazine. Retrieved from https://ceoworld.biz/2021/02/10/revealed-worlds-best-countries-for-international-students-2021[in English].
- P’jatnyc’ka, G. T. (2016). Naukovo-osvitni klastery: vidmitni harakterystyky ta peredumovy rozvytku [Scientific and educational clusters: distinctive characteristics and prerequisites for development]. Marketyng i menedzhment innovacij – Marketing and innovation management, 3, 191-207 [in Ukrainian].
- Mrykhina, O., Lisovska, L., Novakivskyj, I., Terebukh, A., & Zhukovska, V. (2020). Method of Modelling Prices for R&D Products in the Case of their Transfer from Engineering Universities to the Business. Advances in Science, Technology and Engineering Systems. (Vol. 5). Issue 5, (pp. 80-93). DOI:10.25046/aj050512[in English].
- P’jatnyc’ka, G. T., Zhukovs’ka, V. M., & Grygorenko, O. M. (2020). Rol’ vystavok v upravlinni innovacijnym rozvytkom pidpryjemstv [The role of exhibitions in management of innovative development of enterprises]. Visnyk KNUTD – Bulletin of KNUTD, 5(151), 127-136. DOI: 10.30857/2413-0117.2020.5.14 [in Ukrainian].