Laburceva O. Marketyngova cinova polityka rozdribnyh torgovel’nyh merezh. Visnyk Kyivs’kogo nacional’nogo torgovel’no-ekonomichnogo universytetu. 2021. № 3. S. 92-107.
JEL Classification M32
Doctor of Sciences (Economics), Professor, Professor at the Department of Marketing
Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
19, Kioto str., Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
MARKETING PRICING POLICY OF RETAIL CHAINSBackground. The problems of marketing pricing policy in the economic crisis caused by the COVID-19 pandemic are attracting more and more attention. In particular, there is a need for a theoretical generalization of the pricing practice of retail chains.
Analysis of recent research and publications has revealed that theproblem of analysis of the practice of formation and implementation of pricing policy by retail chains in Ukraine is not solved.
The aim of the article is to form a methodical approach to the analysis of marketing pricing policy of retail chains in the Ukrainian market, determining their price positioning, as well as tools for differentiating price proposals through promotions and loyalty programs.
Materials and methods. Materials of 13 scientific works were used. Methods of calculation of relative and average values were used to determine the price positioning of retail chains; comparison and grouping were used to systematize price promotions and loyalty programs; logical method was used to formulate conclusions about the peculiarities of marketing pricing of retail chains.
Results. The essence and basic decisions of marketing pricing policy are considered. A methodical approach to the analysis of the pricing policy of retail trade networks is proposed. The price positioning of the leading food retail chains, the features of their price actions and loyalty programs are determined.
Conclusion. The pricing policy of retail chains is aimed at diversifying prices for the buyers in order to complicate competitive comparisons, but in the general level of prices and tools for their differentiation there is a tendency to the strategic positioning of each chain.
Keywords: price, marketing pricing policy, retail chains, price variation, positionning, price promotions, loyalty programs.
- Kondratenko, N. O., & Volkova, M. V. (2016). Metodychni pidhody do cinoutvorennja v systemi marketyngu [Methodical approaches to pricing in the marketing system]. Global’ni ta nacional’ni problemy ekonomiky –Global and National Economic Problems,12, 272-276.Retrieved fromhttp://global-national.in.ua/archive/12-2016/58.pdf[in Ukrainian].
- Korinjev, V. L. (2015). Vplyv marketyngovogo seredovyshha na formuvannja cinovoi’ polityky pidpryjemstva [The influence of marketing environment on the formation of the enterprise’s pricing policy]. Derzhava ta regiony – State and Regions, 4, 62-68 [in Ukrainian].
- Kuratnik, P. (2013). Varіanti cіnoutvorennja: vitratnij chi marketingovij? [Pricing options: cost or marketing?]. Spravochnik jekonomista –Economist’s Guide, 5 (113), 78-89[in Ukrainian].
- Dudar, V. (2018). Formuvannja cinovyh strategij pidpryjemstv organichnogo sektoru dlja dosjagnennja marketyngovyh cilej [Formation of pricing strategies of organic sector enterprises for marketing goals achievement]. Visnyk Ternopil’s’kogo nacional’nogo ekonomichnogo universytetu – Bulletin of Ternopil National Economic University,2, 45-54 https://doi.org/10.35774/visnyk2018.02.045[in Ukrainian].
- Kienzler, M., & Kowalkowski, C. (2017). Pricing strategy: A review of 22 years of marketing research. Journal of Business Research. (Vol. 78), 101-110 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jbusres.2017.05.005[in English].
- Chuhraj, N. I., & Bespaljuk, H. M. (2012). Ustanovlennja optymal’noi’ ciny na novyj tovar [Optimal price fixing for a new product]. Marketyng i menedzhment innovacij– Marketing and Innovation Management, 4, 23-33 [in Ukrainian].
- Bozhkov, D. S. (2018). Osoblyvosti vplyvu riznyh vydiv marketyngu na cinoutvorennja [Features of the impact of different types of marketing on pricing]. Investycii’: praktyka ta dosvid – Investments: Practice and Experience , 19, 57-61 https://doi.org/10.32702/2306-6814.2018.19.57[in Ukrainian].
- Sagajdak, M. P. (2014). Formuvannja cinovoi’ polityky pidpryjemstva na zasadah refleksyvnogo upravlinnja ta vnutrishn’ogo marketyngu [Formation of the price policy of the enterprise on the basis of reflexive management and internal marketing]. Investycii’: praktyka ta dosvid –Investments: Practice and Experience, 20, 23-27 [in Ukrainian].
- Nitsenko, V., Chukurna, O., Mardani, A. et al. (2019). Pricing in the Concept of Cognitive Marketing in the Context of Globalization: Theoretical, Methodological and Applied Aspects. Montenegrin Journal of Economics. (Vol. 15), 4, 131-147 https://doi.org/10.14254/1800-5845/2019.15-4.10[in English].
- Mazumdar, T. (2021). Retail Pricing on the Internet. World Scientific Book Chapters. Pricing of Products & Services. Chapter 18, 329-342 https://doi.org/10.1142/9789811204180_0018[in English].
- Ke, H., Wu, Y., Huang, H., & Chen, Z. (2018). Optimal pricing decisions for a closed-loop supply chain with retail competition under fuzziness. Journal of the Operational Research Society. (Vol. 69). Issue 9, 1468-1482 https://doi.org/10.1080/01605682.2017.1404184[in English].
- Xu, P. J., Barnes, J. M., Choe, E. M., Syed, J. R., & Siddiqui, S. A. (2019). Variability of Retail Pricing of Generic Urologic Medications in a Major US Metropolitan Area.Urology. (Vol. 125), 29-33 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.urology.2018.07.045[in English].
- Sallivan, M., & Jedkok, D. (2004). Marketing v roznichnoj torgovle [Retail Marketing]. (Trans.). L. Nikitina (Ed). SPb.: Neva [inRussian].