Cite as APA style citation
Salihova O. Vysokotehnologichna ekonomika. Uroky Kytaju. Visnyk Kyi'vs'kogo nacional'nogo torgovel'no-ekonomichnogo universytetu. 2020. № 3. S. 27-49.
DSc (Economics), the leading researcher of Economic Development Modeling and Forecasting Department,
State Organization "Institute of Economics and Forecasting of the National Academy of Sciences of Ukraine"
26, Panasa Myrnoho str., Kyiv, 01011, Ukraine
HIGH-TECH ECONOMY. CHINA’S LESSONSBackground. China in 2006 has embarked on a new path of high-tech industry development that is in line with today’s ambitions and the realities of tomorrow and put a great attention and focus on endogenous innovation. The current philosophy of China industrial policy is based on the idea that the revival of industry must be through the megaprojects implementation, which are vehicles for an import substitution and creating Chinese indigenous innovations through the "co-innovation", "re-innovation" of foreign technologies and encouraging domestic high-tech companies.
Analysis of recent researches and publications revealed that, despite the high level of existing theoretical developments, the state’s role in in the formation and implementing the policy of transforming the Chinese industry (previously dominated by low value-added industries) into a high-tech sectors of the economy and a powerful player in the global market was still under-researched. The problems of the provision of the state aid for technological innovation in the interests of high-tech industry require further study.
The aim of the article is to explore the Chinese experience on policy changes and new approaches to the formulation and implementation of high-tech industrial development as a strategic priority; the analysis of programs through which the state encourages the private sector to invest in research and innovation in industry; mechanisms for providing preferences to certified high-tech enterprises, preferences for manufacturers of "domestic goods" in public procurement. The prerequisites for the success of the development of endogenous innovative products and the formation of national "technological champions" are substantiated, the role of the state in this process is shown.
Materials and methods. The theoretical and methodological basis for writing the article was the works of domestic and foreign scholars on the process of formation and implementation of industrial policy on innovative grounds, legislative and regulatory documents of China countries. The research was conducted using the methods of theoretical generalization, comparative analysis, analysis and synthesis, which made it possible to characterize the process of selecting priorities of industrial development, to identify the factors that affect its dynamics.
Results. The Government of China have commits resources and set in place integrated mechanisms to advance research and development, training, infrastructure and investment incentives; is pursuing a policy to the implementation of public procurement for local industry development and endogenous innovative products. The Government of China has been actively supporting a clear mandate: strengthen the technological potential of production and increase the level of localization in the country through the development of high-tech component base; the development of new zones of development of high-tech industries; maximizing the use of digital technology integrate big data, cloud computing, other cutting-edge technologies in manufacturing capabilities and transform manufacturing, supply and value chains.
Conclusion. China has effective decision-making vertical on the implementation of innovation-industrial policy mechanisms, identify strategic priorities and evaluate the necessary funding, to introduce state support programs, introduce instruments to stimulate domestic demand for domestic goods providers through the public procurement system for the development of high-tech industry. The experience of China has shown that long-term targeted government actions has a positive impact on technologies performance, providing added value growth, labor productivity and exports, accelerating economic development and increasing the world leadership.
Keywords: high-tech industry, technologies, innovations, talents, state aid, industrial policy.
- The State of U.S. (2020). Science and Engineering. Retrieved fromhttps://ncses.nsf.gov/ pubs/nsb20201 [in English].
- Korablin, S. (2019). Kytay: investytsiyni ambitsiyi, obmezhennya ta mozhlyvosti [China: investment ambitions, limitations and opportunities]. Ekonomìka ì prognozuvannâ – Economy and forecasting, 3, 138-157 [in Ukrainian].
- Prudka, O. (2017). Kytays’kyy dosvid derzhavnoho stymulyuvannya innovatsiynoyi diyal’nosti [Chinese experience of state stimulation of innovation activity]. Nauka, tekhnolohiyi, innovatsiyi – Science, technology, innovation, 4, 35-45 [in Ukrainian].
- Lahutin, V.D. (2019). Tsyvilizatsiyni ta instytutsiyni faktory hlobal’nykh ekonomichnykh transformatsiy XXI st. [Civilizational and institutional factors of global economic transformations of the XXI century]. Zovnishnia torhivlia: ekonomika, finansy, pravo – Foreign Trade: Economics, Finance, Law, 2, 5-19 [in Ukrainian].
- Sidenko, V. (2017). Strukturni transformatsii u svitovii ekonomitsi: vyklyky dlia Ukrainy [Structural transformations in the world economy: challenges for Ukraine]. Kyiv: Zapovit [in Ukrainian].
- Salikhova, O. B., & Bak, H. O. (2014). Stratehiyi aziys’kykh krayin z rozbudovy natsional’noyi promyslovosti cherez zaluchennya tekhnolohiy TNK [Strategies of Asian countries for national industry development through attraction of MNC’s technologies]. Zovnishnia torhivlia: ekonomika, finansy, pravo – Foreign Trade: Economics, Finance, Law, 3, 30-40[in Ukrainian].
- Kumagai, Satoru (2008). A Journey Through the Secret History of the Flying Geese Model. IDE Discussion Paper, 158, 22 [in English].
- World Investment Report: Transnational corporations and competitiveness. unctad.org. Retrieved from http://unctad.org [in English].
- Salikhova, O. B. (2012). Vysokotekhnolohichni vyrobnytstva: vid metodolohii otsinky do pidnesennia v Ukraini [High-tech production: from the methodology of valuation to uplift in Ukraine]. Kyiv: NAN Ukrainy, Instytut ekonomiky ta prohnozuvannia [in Ukrainian].
- World Investment Report (1999): foreign direct investment and the challenge of development. Retrieved from http://unctad.org [in English].
- UNCTAD (2010). Foreign direct investment, the transfer and diffusion of technology, and sustainable development. New York and Geneva: United Nations publication. Retrieved from http://unctad.org [in English].
- Ozawa, Terutomo (1992). Foreign direct investment and economic development Transnational Corporations, I, 27-54 [in English].
- Lin Yifu, V. S., & Zhang, Wein "The Age of Debate" Industrial Policy. Retrieved from http://www.china.com.cn/cppcc/2016-11/15/content_39705608.htm[in Chinese].
- World Bank (2008). The growth report: strategies for sustained growth and inclusive development. Washington, DC: World Bank. 198[in English].
- The Indian pharmaceutical industry – the way forward. Retrieved from https://www.ipa-india.org/ static-files/pdf/publications/position-papers/2019/ipa-way-forward.pdf [in English].
- Plan of the National Medium and Long-term Plan for the Development of Science and Technology (2006–2020). Retrieved from http://ww.gov.cn/jrzg/2006-02/09/content_183787.htmw [in Chinese].
- Salikhova, Е. (2020). Turbonyani [Turbo Nannies]. Levyy bereg. Ukrayna – LB.ua. Retrieved from https://lb.ua/economics/2020/02/25/450866_turbonyani_.html [in Russian].
- Creation of scientific and technological talents. www.gov.cn. Retrieved from https://www.gov.cn/gzdt/att/att/site1/20120428/001e3741a558110595fa01.pdf [in Chinese].
- UNESCO Science Report: towards 2030 – Executive Summary. en.unesco.org. Retrieved from https://en.unesco.org/USR-contents [in English].
- The decision of the State Council to accelerate the cultivation and development ofstrategically important industries. Retrieved from www.gov.cn. http://www.gov.cn/ zwgk/2010-10/18/content_1724848.htm [in Chinese].
- Salikhova, O. B., & Krekhivsky O. V. (2018). Novyi mekhanizm derzhavnoi pidtrymky tekhnolohichnykh innovatsii dlia rozvytku promyslovosti [A New Mechanism for State Support to Technological Innovation for Industrial Development]. Statystyka Ukrainy – Statistics of Ukraine, 2, 30-35 [in Ukrainian].
- State Council Press Release and National 13th Five-Year Development Plan for National Strategic Industries. www.moe.gov.cn. Retrieved from http://www.moe.gov.cn/ jyb_sy/sy_gwywj/201612/t20161220_292496.html [in Chinese].
- State Council Press and Distribution Report "Made in China in 2025". www.china.com.cn.Retrieved from http://www.china.com.cn/legal/2015-05/19/ content_35606051.htm [in Chinese].
- State Council Guidelines for Active Promotion of Internet + Promotion. www.gov.cn.Retrieved fromhttp://www.gov.cn/zhengce/content/2015-07/04/content_10002.htm с[in Chinese].
- People’s Republic of China Law on Promoting the Transformation of Scientific and Technological Advances (2015). Retrieved fromhttp://www.sic.cas.cn/zt/zscq/ zlzs/zcwj/201704/t20170418_4777193.html [in Chinese].
- State-supported high-tech industries. www.waizi.org.cn. Retrieved fromhttp://www.waizi.org.cn/law/6441.html [in Chinese].
- Huiling, Liu, Fei, Xing, Kseniya, Yakshtas, & Bo, Li (2018). Does the high-tech enterprise certification policy promote innovation in China? Economics-ejournal. December, 13. Retrieved fromhttp://www.economics-ejournal.org/economics/ discussionpapers/2018-85 [in Chinese].
- Salikhova, O. B. (2007). Metodychni pidkhody do otsinky potentsialu vyrobnytstva v Ukrayini vysokotekhnolohichnoyi produktsiyi, konkurentospromozhnoyi na svitovomu rynku [Methodical approaches to the assessment of the production potential of high-tech products competitive in the world market in Ukraine]. Nauka ta naukoznavstvo – Science and Science of Science, 4. Annex, 130-134 [in Ukrainian].
- Salikhova, O. B. (2011). Adresna derzhavna pidtrymka yak chynnyk stymulyuvannya rozvytku vysokotekhnolohichnykh vyrobnytstv v Ukrayini [Targeted state support as a factor in stimulating the development of high-tech industries in Ukraine]. Ekonomika ta prohnozuvannya – Economics and Forecasting, 2, 9-23 [in Ukrainian].
- Government Procurement Law of the People’s Republic of China (2014). Retrieved fromhttp://fgw.yinchuan.gov.cn/fgzc/flfg/201812/t20181221_1224321.htm [in Chinese].
- Public Procurement in China: European Business Experiences Competing for Public Contracts in China (2011). Public Procurement Study. European Chamber. Retrieved fromhttps://cbi.typepad.com/files/euccc-public-procurement-in-china-april-2011.pdf [in English].
- Zhang, Weihua: Accelerating the resumption of production and manufacturing. Retrieved from http://www.stats.gov.cn/tjsj/zxfb/202004/t20200419_1739670.html [in Chinese].
- Hirshfeld, A. M., & Salikhova, E. B. (2019). Vagonnyye spory. [Train disputes]. Retrieved from https://lb.ua/economics/2019/07/02/431000_vagonnie_spori.htm [in Russian].
- A Joint Survey: Supply Chain Strategies Under the Impact of COVID-19 of Large American Companies Operating in China. www.amcham-shanghai.org. Retrieved from https://www.amcham-shanghai.org/en/article/joint-survey-supply-chain-strategies-under- impact-covid-19-large-american-companies[in English].