Cite as APA style citation
Borovs'ka L. Destrukcija identychnosti jak osnova formuvannja konformists'koi' osobystosti. Visnyk Kyi'vs'kogo nacional'nogo torgovel'no-ekonomichnogo universytetu. 2020. № 1. S. 5-13.
Associate Professor (Philosophy), department of Philosophical and Social Sciences,
Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
Kioto str.,19, Kyiv, 02156, Ukraine
IDENTITY DESTRUCTION AS THE BASIS FOR THE FORMATION OF THE CONFORMIST PERSONALITYBackground. Identification is a complex and controversial process. The failure of its mechanisms leads to the dismemberment of the image of "Ego", diffuse identity, the loss of human harmony with the world. Investigation of the destructive aspects of the complex process of identification requires the analysis of social mechanisms that lead to identity disorder and conformist personality formation.
Theanalysis of the recent researches and publications. In the latest social and psychological studies, the problems of identity are most often viewed by scientists through the lens of the crisis of the consciousness of a modern man. Also contemporary researchers write in nontrivial perspectives about conformism and manipulative approaches to managing people.
Theaim of the article is to find out the social mechanisms of identity destruction in a conformist type man.
Materials and methods.The works of domestic and foreign authors were used in the article to consider the posed problem. The research is based on a critical and systematic approach, as well as on the philosophical principles of objectivity and historicism.
Results.On the basis of the concept of conformism of E. Fromm and the concept of"one-dimensional man" G. Marcuse, the social mechanisms that lead to the disorder of identity and formation of personality of the conformist type are considered. According to E. Fromm, conformism is one of the repositories where a man escapes from loneliness, fear and freedom. G. Marcuse emphasizes that technological reality interferes with the space of personal development of a person and negates it. The result is not an adaptation, but a direct identification of the individual with society as a whole, which was characteristic of primitive forms of association. The development of personality through mechanisms of identification-separation is analyzed.
Conclusion. The results of the analysis show that the main factor that contributes to the formation of a conformist type man is identity disorder. For various reasons (fear of isolation and ostracism – according to Fromm or introjected forms of social control – according to Marcuse) with the weakening of the critical force of the human mind is narrowing of his personal space, which ultimately significantly complicates, or even makes it impossible for a person to consciously choose a certain model of behavior, contributes to its uncritical adjustment to social standards and "distortion" of one’s identity.
Keywords: identity, identification, conformism, type of conformist personality
- Kuli, Ch. H. (2000). Chelovecheskaja priroda i porjadok [Human nature and order]. Moscow: Ideja-Press [in Russian].
- Berger, P., & Lukman, T. (1995). Social’noe konstruirovanie real’nosti [Social constructionof reality]. Moscow: Medium [in Russian].
- Ionin, L. G. (1996). Identifikacija i inscenirovka [Identification and reenactment]. Socis –Socis, 3, 3-14 [in Russian].
- Horuzhyj, G. (2016). Samoidentyfikacija osobystosti jak social’no-psyhologichnyj proces [Self-identification of the individual as a socio-psychological process]. Visnyk Kyi’vs’kogo nacional’nogo torgovel’no-ekonomichnogo universytetu – Herald of Kyiv NationalUniversity of Trade and Economics, 2 (106), 5-15 [in Ukrainian].
- Sokolova, E. T. (2015). Klinicheskaja psihologija utraty Ja [Clinical Psychology of Ego Loss].Moscow: Smysl [inRussian].
- Razlogov, K. Je. (2015). Metamorfozy identichnosti [Metamorphoses of Identity]. Voprosy filosofii –Philosophy Issues, 7, 28-40 [inRussian].
- Kul’turnaja identichnost’ malogo naroda v uslovijah globalizacii (materialy "kruglogo stola") [Cultural identity of small people in the context of globalization ("round table" materials)]. (2015). Voprosy filosofii – Philosophy Issues, 8, 5-27 [in Russian].
- Emelin, V. A., Rasskazov, E. I., & Thostov, A. Sh. (2018). [The unity and diversity of theprocesses of formation of personality identity]. Voprosy filosofii – Philosophy Issues, 1, 45-53 [inRussian].
- Kopijevs’ka, O. R. (2015). Rol’ elit u formuvanni kul’turnoi’ identychnosti [The role of elites in the formation of cultural identity]. Kul’tura i suchasnist’ – Culture and modernity, 1, 15-21 [in Ukrainian].
- Bejli, F. (2017). Razmyshlenija [Reflections]. Moscow: Amrita [in Russian].
- Fromm, Je. (1992). Dusha cheloveka [Man’s Soul] (Trans). Moscow: Respublika [in Russian].
- Markuze, G. (1994). Odnomernyj chelovek [One-Dimensional Man]. Мoscow: RELF-book [in Russian].
- Koncen, P. (2011). Fanatizm. Psihoanaliz jetogo uzhasnogo javlenija [Fanaticism. Psychoanalysis of this terrible phenomenon]. Har’kov: Izd-vo Gumanitarnyj centr [in Russian].
- Muhina, V. S. (2006). Vozrastnaja psihologija. Fenomenologija razvitija [Age-related psychology. Development phenomenology]. Moscow: Akademija [in Russian].