CHARITABLE ACTIVITIES AS A TOOL FOR MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
FREE FULL TEXT (PDF)
UDC 658.8-027.564.2Olena MELNYKOVYCH,
Doctor of Economics, Professor of the Department of Journalism and Advertising, Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
Candidate of Economic Sciences, Senior Lecturer of the Department of Journalism and Advertising of the Kyiv National University of Trade and Economics
CHARITABLE ACTIVITIES AS A TOOL FOR MARKETING COMMUNICATIONS
Background. An increasing number of Ukrainian enterprises are shifting to the concept of socially responsible marketing, which involves implementation of a new set of marketing communication tools, including charitable sales promotion. The emergence and extensive use of the charitable sales promotion by enterprises made it necessary to research the effectiveness of such marketing activities. Most of the studies carried out in this area have been conducted in the developed countries with a high standard of living. Economic expediency of charitable sales promotion in Ukraine requires a separate study.
Materials and methods. The article uses the statistical data of the Charities Aid Foundation as well as the results of the original study in a form of a written questionnaire.
Results. Charitable activity is gradually gaining popularity in Ukraine, but Ukrainians express lack of confidence in charitable organizations and legislative regulation of their activities. At the same time, the majority of the survey respondents believe that well-known commercial organizations cooperate only with reliable charitable organizations.
Ukrainian consumers were found to be more interested in the direct price discounts than charity sales promotions. However, when compared with two-for-one offers/BOGO discounts, the opinions of the respondents were almost equally divided.
Among the purposes of charity activity, the most important for Ukrainian consumers are those related to children, namely: support of orphan and ill children. The second most popular charity activity area is assistance to ATO soldiers.
Conclusion. Although charity is gaining popularity in Ukraine, charity sales promotion cannot lead to the same results as direct financial incentives. However, enterprises can use charitable sales promotion to achieve both image and economic goals.
Charitable organizations should initiate charitable sales promotion, as close cooperation with well-known brands is an effective solution to the problem of distrust of Ukrainian society towards charitable institutions.
The article identifies major social concerns to be addressed in order to increase the effectiveness of the charitable sales promotion for a wide audience.
Keywords: charity, marketing communications, charitable sales promotion, ethical and socially responsible marketing.
- Andrews, M., Luo, X., Fang, Z., & Aspara, J. (2014). Cause Marketing Effectiveness and the Moderating Role of Price Discounts. Journal of Marketing, 78, 120-142 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1509/jm.14.0003
- Jain,G. (2016). Consumer product preferences of organisationsthat use cause-related marketing – taking the lesstravelled road. Int. J. Business Competition and Growth, 5, 137-151 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1504/IJBCG.2016.079945
- Lucke, S., & Heinze, J. (2015). The role of choice in cause-related marketing – investigating the underlying mechanisms of cause and product involvement.Procedia - Social and Behavioral Sciences, 213, 647-653 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1016/j.sbspro.2015.11.466
- Robinson,S. R., Irmak, C., & Jayachandran, S. (2012). Choice of Cause in Cause-Related Marketing. Journal of Marketing, 4, 126-139 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1509/jm.09.0589
- Strahilevitz, M. (1998). Donation to Charity as Purchase Incentives: How Well They Work May Depend on What You Are Trying to Sell. Journal of Consumer Research, 24, 434-446 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1086/209519
- Vries, E. & Rodriguez-Solis, L. (2017). Small But Moral: the Impact of Firm Size and Gratitude on the Effectiveness of Cause-Marketing Campaigns. Latin American Advances in Consumer Research, 4, 39-40 [in English].
- Winterich, K., & Michael J. (2011). Barone Warm Glow or Cold, Hard Cash? Social Identitfy Effects on Consumer Choice for Donation Versus Discount Promotions. Journal of Marketing Research,48,855-868 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1509/jmkr.48.5.855
- Romat, Je. V., Aldan’kova, G. V., Berezovyk, K. V. & et.al. (2017). Social’no-etychnyj marketyng [Ethical and socially responsible marketing]. A. A. Mazaraki, Je. V. Romat (Ed.). Kyi’v : Kyi’v. nac. torg.-ekon. un-t. [in Ukrainian].
- Filyppova, S. V. (2017). Social’na vidpovidal’nist’ u strategii’ upravlinnja vitchyznjanym pidpryjemstvom: problemni pytannja integruvannja mehanizmu [Social responsibility in the strategy of thedomestic enterprise management: integrationproblems]. EKONOMIKA: realii’ chasu – ECONOMY: realities of time, (30), 5-17 [in Ukrainian].
- Haminich, S. Ju. & Lihter, A. M. (2015). Social’no-etychnyj marketyng jak skladova brend-orijentovanogo upravlinnja pidpryjemstvom [Ethicaland socially responsiblemarketing as a component of the brand-oriented enterprise management ]. Global’ni ta nacional’ni problemy ekonomiky – Global and national problems of economy, 7, 402-404 [inUkrainian].
- Hmel’kova, N. V. & Kushnareva, A. A. (2015). Marketingovye al’jansy kommercheskih i nekommercheskih organizacij i novaja jeticheskaja paradigma social’no otvetstvennogo potreblenija [Marketing alliances of commercial and non-profit organizations and anew ethical paradigm of thesocially responsible consumption]. Marketing i marketingovye issledovanija – Marketing and marketing research, 05(119), 348-356 [in Russian].
- Hmel’kova, N. V., Kushnareva, A. A. (2013). Social’no znachimye al’jansy brendov: konceptual’nye osnovy i jempiricheskie issledovanija [Socially Important Brand Alliances: Conceptual Frameworkand Empirical Study]. Marketing i marketingovye issledovanija – Marketing and marketing research, 05(72), 266-274 [in Russian].
- Meijer, M.-M. (2009). The Effect of Charity Reputation on Charitable Giving. Corporate Reputation Review, 12, 1, 33 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1057/crr.2009.5
- Ranganathan, S. K., & Walter, H. (2008). Henley Determinants of charitable donation intentions: A structural equation model. International journal of nonprofit and voluntary sector marketing, 13, 1-11 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1002/nvsm.297
- Hsu, J. L., Liang, Guan-Yu, & Tien, Chih-Ping (2005). Social Concerns And Willingness To Support Charities. Social Behavior and Personality (Vol. 33), 2. 189-199 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.2224/sbp.2005.33.2.189
- Webb, D., Green, C. L.&Brashear, T. G. (2000). Development and Validation of Scales to Measure Attitudes Influencing Monetary Donations to Charitable Organizations.Journal of the Academy of Marketing Science. (Vol. 28), 2, 299-309 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1177/0092070300282010
- CAF world giving index (2015). A global view of giving trends.Charities Aid Foundation.Charities Aid Foundatio. Retrieved from https://www.cafonline.org/docs/default-source/about-us-publications/caf_world givingindex2015_report.pdf [in English].
- CAF world giving index 2013. A global view of giving trends.Charities Aid Foundation.Charities Aid Foundatio. Retrieved from https://www.cafonline.org/docs/default-source/about-us-publications/worldgivingindex2013_1374aweb.pdf [in English].
- CAF world giving index 2014. A global view of giving trends.Charities Aid Foundation.Charities Aid Foundatio. Retrieved from https://www.cafonline.org/docs/default-source/about-us-publications/caf_wgi2014 _report_1555awebfinal.pdf [in English].
- CAF world giving index 2016. A global view of giving trends.Charities Aid Foundation.Charities Aid Foundatio. Retrieved from https://www.cafonline.org/docs/default-source/about-us-publications1950a_wgi_2016_report_web_v2_241016.pdf [in English].
- CAF world giving index 2017. A global view of giving trends.Charities Aid Foundation.Charities Aid Foundatio. Retrieved from https://www.cafonline.org/docs/default-source/about-us-publications/cafworldgivingindex2017_2167a_web_210917.pdf?sfvrsn=ed1dac40_10 [in English].
- Podatkovyj kodeks Ukrai’ny [Tax Code of Ukraine]: za stanom na 1 grud. 2016 r. Verhovna Rada Ukrai’ny. Sajt Verhovnoi’ rady Ukrai’ny. Retrieved from http://zakon5.rada.gov.ua/laws/show/2755-17/ed20160201 [in Ukrainian].
- Higgins, E. T. (1997). Beyond pleasure and pain. American Psychologist. (Vol. 52), 12, 1280-1300 [in English]. https://doi.org/10.1037/0003-066X.52.12.1280